Oven-roast Potato Wedges September 30, 2006Posted by thelazychef in Others.
These potato wedges are a very healthy alternative to deep fried french fries and its really easy peasy! Healthy olive oil is used and you don’t have to worry about oil splattering all over the place! I first got this easy recipe on KC, from purplegirl. And I made this quite a number of times when I was in States during my exchange program. Its a fantastic side dish for my grilled chicken or any western style food you have…
And the guys whom I stay with, never fail to finish up all these wedges! Everytime I make it, I increase the quantity(as compared to the previous times) but they will definately finish up everything! haha…
This wedges are best eaten when fresh from oven as it is crispy on the outside and hot and fluffy in the inside. And it doesn’t taste that good once it’s cool. So it is very important to time your main meal appropriately when the potato is almost finish roasting. With this recipe, you can forget about buying all those frozen fries and deep frying it in all that oil.
Whip up your own healthy version! 😀(This is more than enough for 2 person’s side dish)What you’ll need:
1. About 500g Russet potatoes, peeled & cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch thick sticks
3. Extra virgin olive oil
1) Cut the potato sticks, and put them into a pot of water(tap water will do) to get rid of extra starch in the potatoes.
2) After soaking for a while, rinse the potatoes & drain well. Return them to the pot with enough water. Add 1/2 tsp salt. Put on stove and bring them to a boil. As soon as it boils, reduce heat & boil for 3 mins. Drain the potatoes well & spread them on a kitchen paper towel to dry. 3) Preheat your oven to 220 degrees celcius. Place the potatoes strips on a large baking sheet. Make sure you do not overcrowd. Sprinkle olive oil generously over them. Gently toss it to mix well with the oil.
4) Put the baking sheet in the hot oven. Roast for 15 mins. Remove baking sheet & turn the fries over & continue to roast for another 15 mins or until it´s well browned & crisp.
5) Remove from oven & immediately sprinkle with salt over the hot wedges & serve immediately.
Notes: I normally do not sprinkle salt onto the wedges after it is out from the oven as I prefer the natural sweetness and taste from the Russet potatoes. And yes, USE Russet potatoes for best results!